At FairFuelUK we carry out many calculations as to the huge and unfair amount of dosh we pay to the Government in tax when we fill up. A FairFuelUK supporter sent us this telling email:
- If you buy 10 gallons of unleaded, the actual cost of the fuel without tax is only £25,
- and that includes the profit made by the refinery and the petrol station.
- With fuel duty and VAT it will cost you over £62.
- However, that is from taxed income.
- To pay £62 someone on the basic rate of tax would have to earn £91.50
- Furthermore, your employer would have to pay a further 13.8% National Insurance,
- So the total tax collected on £25 of petrol is a whopping £76.43 (more than 300%)